Monday, January 27, 2014

Soundtrack of the Party


I love soundtracks.  Road trips, parties, daily life ... every event must have a music soundtrack.  I firmly believe emotions are tied to music and music is a trigger for memories.

We invited people over for Hubs's birthday party on Saturday night, as he's turning a certain age this week (Hubs and Kate Moss are the same age).  We were having so much fun that I forgot to take pics during the party, but I wore my Megan Mad Men dress that I bought in Chicago last year

                        pic taken last year, at least 4 hair colours ago

 ... and we passed around the bottle of Veuve Clicquot.


I wanted to create a great party soundtrack, something people would remember.....keep in mind our music tastes are quite eclectic (lots of 1980s, rock, new wave, alternative) .... had it been my b-day party, I would have thrown in some Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks, Debussy and Roxette for a real sensory experience but I reined myself in for Hubs's party (well, Hubs asked me to).  Don't go overboard...  (sotte voce voice)

Moi?????  Never!!!! 

So, to start the party with upbeat energy right when people arrived and so as to inspire cool confidence to make sure our guests hit it off right away (some people didn't know each other prior to the party and I definitely didn't want a "we're back in a high school clique" vibe, ugh) we played:

1.  Beat City - The Flowerpot Men (*this song is from the Ferris Bueller soundtrack - when Ferris, Cameron and Sloane are driving into Chicago after ditching school)
2. Wouldn't It Be Good - Nik Kershaw (preferably the Live Aid version
3. Don't Stop The Dance - Bryan Ferry
4. L'affaire du Dumontier (Say to Me) - The Box
5.  Stylo - Gorillaz (*Gorillaz is Damon Albarn's "virtual" band with guest performers on every record -- Damon was the frontman and songwriter for British band Blur in the 1990s)
6.  I Am Here - The Grapes of Wrath
7.  Lose Yourself to Dance - Daft Punk (this video has now received over 9.9 million views, the dance edits are perfect)
8.  Give Life Back to Music - Daft Punk
9.  Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode (our friend D was like YAHHHHHHH when we played this but he managed to restrain himself and didn't do any Dave Gahan dance moves)
10.  Reflektor - Arcade Fire
11.  Let's Dance (extended version) - David Bowie
12.  Everything Counts - Depeche Mode
13.  Making Plans for Nigel - XTC
14.  Scare Easy - Mudcrutch (this was Tom Petty's band before he started Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers in the 1970s, Mudcrutch reunited a few years ago and came out with an album)
15.  Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan

then we morphed into ...

1.  Bad is Bad - Huey Lewis and The News
2.  A Dream (About You) - The Grapes of Wrath
3.  Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie
4.  Subdivisions - Rush
5.  On Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz
6.  Backward Town - The Grapes of Wrath (*we saw Grapes in concert one year ago this past weekend with our friends, so of course we had to play Grapes songs at the party)
7.  Swimming in Your Ocean - Crash Test Dummies
8.  Route 66 (Beatmasters Mix) - Depeche Mode
9.  Don't You (Forget About Me) - extended mix - Simple Minds
10.  Heartbreak Beat - The Psychedelic Furs
11.  Moving in Stereo - The Cars
12.  All Mixed Up - The Cars (best to play these back to back as Moving in Stereo blends into All Mixed Up)
13.  Don't Let Me Down - The Beatles (Hubs's favorite Beatles song)
14.  Come Together - The Beatles
15.  Heroes - David Bowie
16.  Heartbeat City - The Cars
17.  Summer Madness - Kool and the Gang

As the evening took on a relaxed pace and a chatty vibe emerged amongst guests (the topics of conversation at that point were health care, conspiracy theories, travel and concerts), we played these songs which fit the ebb and flow of conversation quite nicely:

1.  Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin
2.  We Can Work It Out - The Beatles
3.  Wait - The Beatles
4.  Tu es ma came - Carla Bruni
5.  Dirty Work - Steely Dan
6.  In a Little While - U2
7.  Prairie Wind - Neil Young
8.  Let Me Roll It - Paul McCartney & Wings
9.  America - Simon & Garfunkel
10.  Scarborough Fair/Canticle - Simon & Garfunkel
11.  Vienna - Ultravox
12.  Live to Tell - Madonna
13.  Things I Do For Money - The Northern Pikes
14.  To the End - Blur
15.  Hey Jude - The Beatles
16.  A Day in the Life - The Beatles

Hubs commented that only I would be able to get away with playing songs by Ultravox, Huey Lewis, Carla Bruni, Simon & Garfunkel, The Beatles and the "required Canadian content" (just like a Canadian radio station but BETTER!) all at the same party, and it totally worked.  Why not?

Aside from one of our guests wandering off during the party and using my bathroom upstairs that I didn't have time to finish cleaning before the party (and only I use) ... instead of using one of the two bathrooms on our main floor and downstairs where the party actually WAS, it was a good time.  There's always one quirky guest, right?

Happy Parties.

And Happy Cat Birthday Cards.  Pardon our hysterics.

video





20 comments:

  1. You look fab in that dress and you know I just sung my way through your playlists don't you?
    If this was a few years ago I'd be demanding a mix tape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, thanks! Oh I used to do that to my sister all the time, beg her to make me mix tapes...otherwise I was only allowed to borrow 3 cassette tapes from her at a time! I remember she had Kylie Minogue's first album from the 1980s taped from a cassette tape from another cassette tape, so by the time she taped songs for me on a new tape, the quality totally sucked, lol.

      Delete
  2. love this!

    I saw The Grapes of Wrath in concert in the late 80s - loved them! our best friends and ourselves even dressed as grapes of wrath that Halloween!

    best dance mix! invite me to the next party! oh and tell hubs welcome to 40!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, thanks Wendy!
      Great idea about Halloweening as Grapes of Wrath, and they are still cool, rocking those skinny jeans. They put on a great show last year. I should ask my Aunt sometime if she was in high school in Kelowna at the same time Kevin Kane and the Hooper brothers were. I think she's a few years older than them, tho.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you know how to throw a party. You do look great in that dress. Yes, there always is one of those guests, isn't there? They only have one choice in my house, though. Happy birthday to your hubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Shelley! I know, we actually have 4 bathrooms in our house (2 upstairs where the bedrooms are, the other 2 downstairs on the main floor and in the basement and our guests know where the main 2 bathrooms are) but of course the guest went to the bathroom completely out of the way .... arrgh oh well. I glossed over it and laughed it off (good thing I at least emptied the garbage and took my clothes out of the bathroom beforehand!) but I was thinking to myself, "REALLY????"

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to this year's Mad Men Collection at Banana Republic, hopefully it's as good as last year's.

      Delete
  5. You look beautiful, that shade of green on you is perfect on you! Great party mix - I love Depeche Mode!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I've really gotten into Depeche Mode over the last few years, I actually didn't care for them much before, not sure why but Hubs listened to them all the time and Richard Blade plays them all the time on Firstwave (Sirius 33) .... and then one day I started liking them. Go figure! I adore Strangelove, that's probably my favorite tune by them (Martin Gore's ideas are brilliant), and of course Enjoy the Silence and Everything Counts.

      Delete
  6. Wow, over 10 million views now for Lose Yourself to Dance....probably because of the Grammy wins by Daft Punk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a lot of songs (and bands) in your list that I have never heard. I am sure the party was a smashing success with your attention to detail. Happy Birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks xoxo! hope you'll check out some of the songs.

      Delete
  8. You look gorgeous as always. Had to be a great party. I have to hear some of the tunes you listed. Especially Carla Bruni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dear! I really like Carla Bruni, I started listening to her sometime last year. I've been able to pick out a few of her songs by ear on the piano & guitar.

      Delete
  9. Love Cool and the Gang and all that old timey stuff. I still think about that photo of you in BR dress that looked just perfect on you. I kept thinking of doing a post about bangs (what we call a fringe, yours is perfect) Id did one and because short forehead was not right on me. Envy you how you can keep changing colour of your hair - wish i could do that but now so grey have to stick to blonde fairies visit every four week, same shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checking in to say Hi and hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  10. Good posting by more visitors,its give chance to share different knowledge.i am so impressed by this blog shared information wholesale Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Missing your wonderful posts. How are you!??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for providing me this informative posting it is very help ful thanks for sharing this.
    <a href="http://www.smsideatechnosolutions.com/odisha/cuttack/bulk-sms.html>Bulk SMS Service Provider In Cuttack</a>

    ReplyDelete